If your child wants to wear contact lenses instead of glasses, should you allow it? That’s a question many parents ask our eye doctors when visiting us for a kids eye exam in Ft. Worth, Southlake, and Downtown. While the question may be typical, the answer is highly individual. Here’s a review of what you need to consider.
Is your child ready for contact lenses?
There isn’t a set age for when contact lenses are suitable for kids. Rather, it depends on the child’s maturity and ability to be careful. Does your child:
- Do chores without being nagged?
- Understand the benefits of contact lenses
- Show that he or she can follow the eye doctor’s instructions, day after day
It all comes down to whether your child can take responsibility for wearing contact lenses safely, following the recommended wearing schedule and proper hygiene.
What are the advantages of contact lenses for kids?
- Clearer vision
- Wider field of vision
- More convenient and comfortable for playing sports
- Self-esteem booster for kids who feel self-conscious about how they look in glasses
What are the disadvantages of contact lenses?
- Higher risk of eye infections and irritation
- More intense daily maintenance
- Might not be a good choice for kids with seasonal allergies (but some doctors say they’re better, especially if they wear daily disposables!)
What rules do kids need to know about contact lenses?
If you sense that your child is ready, and a kids eye exam determines that your child’s vision condition could be treated efficiently with contact lenses, it’s best to review the rules to confirm that your child knows what he or she is getting into!
- Correct handling and disinfection
- Replacing contacts on schedule
- Using only sterile solutions
- Application of makeup after inserting lenses
- Removal of contacts at first sign of irritation
To find out which type of contacts lenses are best for your child, book a kids eye exam in Ft. Worth, Southlake, and Downtown
At Eyeworks, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 817-346-7077 or book an appointment online to see one of our Ft. Worth eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!